Spark version 6.50 released – more of a downgrade

A week or so ago Xbox Live underwent some changes that broke parts of Spark 360, rendering it useless for features such as profiles and friends lists. Version 6.50 fixes those issues, but with a considerable caveat – it removes a considerable chunk of features that are no longer available due to the latest changes to the Xbox Live web portal.

Gone are detailed user statistics, such as bionamelocationmottorep and Microsoft points (though removal of the latter is considerably overdue) – with the exception of rep, which is now a slider, none of those stats are available. Missing also is the Find gamertag option in the friends list.

On the bright side, the rest of the Xbox Live functionality should be back to normal.

PSN support, the lesser used half of the app is still broken – due to a change in the authentication protocol which I still haven’t been able to fix. I will do my best to fix this before September, but so far I have been unsuccessful.

While I wrote about this in an earlier post, I should mention again that Spark 360 will be taken off Google Play on September 1st – the latest changes to Live further decrease the usefulness of the app – especially with the official clients now being available. I won’t be making any more changes to the client, but the source code will still be available at https://github.com/pokebyte/Spark360 – anyone who wants to fork and maintain the app is more than welcome.

This entry was posted in Release, Spark 360 for Android. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Spark version 6.50 released – more of a downgrade

1. Lowrey says:

I paid for this app, as did many others. This is VERY disappointing

• Akop says:

I realize that, and this is not a decision that was made lightly. Unfortunately, that’s where things stand at the moment. I haven’t been able to maintain the app as before, and unlike four years ago, there is now an official client that doesn’t have to constantly play catch-up with Live’s incessant changes (which haven’t been for the better since the introduction of beacons two or so years ago).

2. Richard says:

I just want to thank you for the fantastic app and continued support over the years. I have purchased and used this app daily for almost four years (since my first android phone). Again, thank you. It’s been a pleasure using spark and recommending it to my friends over the years.

• Akop says:

Thanks Richard – it was a great experience. Its popularity far surpassed my expectations, and I owe it to users like you.

3. r3my says:

I have used Spark for many years and have always understood that one day it would no longer function due to sources changing their methods of data access, and official apps playing catch up. The years of service have been amazing and I thank you for getting this app into peoples hands when you did. It has been on my phone since my G1, and I loved it dearly. Thank you for your efforts 🙂

4. Tasio says:

Thank you for doing this great app, Is my most used app, I use it every day, and is the best for android 2.3.

Thank you for all the work.

5. Simon says:

Hi Akop

I’d just like to say how impressed I’ve been with your app over the last 4 years or so. I’ll be sad to see it go, but I’d like to focus on the positives for now.

Your app always been way ahead of the competition and much better than the official apps for PSN/XBL.

The quality of your design and reliability of your code is exceptional. I’d encourage you to pursue other projects on the play store or similar platform.

Thanks for many years of a great app and excellent support!

6. Enzo says:

It sucks to see the app go, but fully understand the reason why.
    Still, thanks for the years you kept up with it.

7. Leonardo says:

Eu acabei de baixar seu aplicativo, e achei bem funcional e rápido, bem melhor que os oficiais, continue o projeto.

Comments are closed.